Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Used Pontoon Boats - A Turtle Tale


Hi gang, Rick here from Used Pontoon Boats with an interesting turtle tale. When we were kids we spent more than a few hours catching turtles. We had a really nice restaurant, about 1 mile from our house, that specialized in seafood. A couple of their great fares were fried turtle, and turtle soup.

It was my dad’s favorite place to go, whenever he could afford to take his gang of 8 out for dinner. The name of the place was Drouillard’s, and it sat right on the banks of Otter Creek, just a 1/2 mile or so from Lake Erie. Sometimes dad would “sneak” off by himself, just to enjoy a bowl of turtle soup, and chat with Don Drouillard the owner. Don’s turtle was always fresh, and sometimes we would even sell him ours, when we caught some large enough to make it worth while.

Back then you could bring your boat, in from the lake, and dock right out the back door of the restaurant. The atmosphere was one of always being on vacation, even when you weren’t. Don’s perch and walleye dinners were also well know among those locals, who liked seafood, and the atmosphere of this water side eatery.

The huge snapper in the picture was intended for the frying pan. I had visions of those great Drouillards turtle dishes, and figured I could get about 15 pounds of great meat from this “old buzzard!” I caught him by leaning out from a pontoon boat, and when I grabbed his tail, he almost pulled me in the water!

Once I got him back to the cabin I started thinking “man This is a really old turtle!” The more I thought about “doing him in” the less I liked the idea. He was probably older than I was, and I was always told to “respect your elders”, so I put him back in the lake. He’d made it this long, and I didn’t want to be the one to stop his monopoly on 16 Mile Lake. Besides it made my wife and grandkids happy!
Thanks to Mike at blogsmonroe.com for this.

Be sure to check out this weeks latest Pontoon Boat Videos

Used Pontoon Boats, By Rick Ostler
Pontoon Enclosures-North American Waterway

Also we value your comments, if you can add more info in regards to this article please do so. Thanks............Rick

No comments: